Saturday 14 September 2013

Felt cupcakes for a rainy day

A few weeks ago I came across a blog post on The Daily Buzz with 10 toddler busy bag ideas - things to keep handy to entertain your little ones while waiting at the doctor's surgery or enjoying a coffee at a café. I really liked the idea of the felt pizzas - I think they would also be great for a rainy day activity, or something to take on a trip away that doesn't take up much space. Just store them in a ziplock bag for some instant fun! My girls have a shop-bought felt ballerina playset and they love dressing up the ballerinas in the different outfits, so I think they will love this one too. So the next time I was shopping I picked up some squares of felt in a variety of colours and set about creating my own set of felt goodies.

I started with the pizza idea, and cut out the bases, sauce, salami, mushrooms, pineapple, ham, and capsicum by hand. I used various sized containers from my kitchen to get the right shape for the circles for the bases, sauce and salami but the others were cut freehand. I was pretty happy with how they turned out.




 


As I was cutting away, I started thinking about other yummy foods that could be easily made from felt, so once the pizzas were done I made some felt cupcakes and ice cream cones. Many of the pieces for the cupcakes and ice cream cones are interchangeable - I made 6 of each piece including cupcake bases, cones, strawberries, cherries and chocolate topping plus pink and cream circles which work as both the cupcake top or ice cream scoop. Again I used various containers from my kitchen to get the right shape for the circles, and then the other pieces were done freehand. For the chocolate topping and strawberries, I drew my pattern on some scrap paper and when I was happy with the shape I cut it out and used it as a template for the felt cutouts.
 

Here are some of the finished creations:
 





 





 
 
They almost look good enough to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment